My friend, Connie, who lives in Flaaarida, sent me this joke. Having driven there for years, I can tell you it is too true, especially the part about the road construction…
1. You must first learn to pronounce the name, it is: ‘FLAAAAARIDA’.
2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 AM to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 8:00 PM. Friday’s rush hour starts on Thursday morning.
3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 85 mph. On I-95 your speed is expected to match the highway number. Anything less is grounds to run you off the road while giving you the finger.
4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Florida has its own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go first at a 4-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, SUV cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.
5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out and possibly shot.
6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It’s another offense that can get you shot.
7. Road construction is permanent and continuous in Florida. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the middle of the night to make the next day’s driving a bit more exciting.
8. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been accidentally activated. (This is also true in North Carolina. Don’t believe me? Instead of counting red VW’s, count the number of turn signals you see. You’re more likely to see a red VW.)
9. Merge means race like a madman and cut the person in line off or better yet–run them off the road.
10. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.
11. If you are going to yell anything out the window, make sure it is in Spanish.